June 1, 2010

I Love Clean Laundry…

I love the feel of clean, cool sheets and the smell of clean laundry dried on the clothesline.  Don't you???

I made a double batch of laundry detergent on Friday.  I LOVE when I can save my family money and still do my job of being the MOST awesome Mama!!!! Actually, I think the ways I save us money make me an even MORE awesome Mama.
I make our laundry soap, I make tortillas to feed Sariah's obsession with salsa, I get most of our clothes at thrift shops (name brands and so many more choices in one convenient place), we cook from scratch most meals (... but even I give into the call of "Pizza! Pizza!" at 5 bucks on a busy night of church activities.) 

Here's the laundry recipe I used this time. I found all the supplies at Meijer (WalMart would probably have them as well.) 

Here's how it goes:
For one batch, I shred up some Fels Naptha bar soap, melt 1/3 cup in 6 cups of water over medium heat.  
Add 1/2 cup Borax, 1/2 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda and mix until melty. 
I then put 4 cups HOT water in a big bucket that I don't need for a few days, add the soapy mix and stir it all together.
I add MORE water (one gallon plus 6 cups) and stir again.
Then I let it sit for 24 hours and it ends  up the texture of egg-drop soup.   
You use a 1/2 cup for each load of laundry. That's it.


8-16-12 I have an HE washer now and I use this still.  The detergent DOES NOT foam. so good to go.  LOVE IT!!!  Oh and I NOW put my finished product in a decorative  lidded jar on a table next to my washer. Pretty :o) and not drippy.

*You can leave it in the covered bucket (like a dog food or kitty litter bucket OR a nice one from Home Depot) OR put it all the bottles saved from OTHER detergents previously used. I used to do this. It's easier and less messy to pour from a small bottle and not have it dripping from my hand as bent over to dip in the bucket. I kept it in the bucket the first batch I made last year.) 

Here's my supply....(2 batches)
IMG_1587












IMG_1588 I am now calculating how long it lasts me. (I guess that depends on how many loads we do per week...) I think 6-7 months...we'll see. It may be a year supply (we are supposed to be prepared, right??) But even less is ok at less that 2 cents per load!!!

What she said! HAPPY laundry day!!

- Bronwen

3-22-11 UPDATE:
We used the last of this double batch, last week. When we made this post, I asked my family how long they thought it all would last.
Steven said - 7 months
Sariah didn't vote (teenager thing)
Miranda thought - 15 months
I said I thought the bottles pictured above would last a year.
They lasted almost 10 months. with regular washings going on.  Pretty good.

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of making my own laundry detergent. Thank you for posting this. I may need to come over to your house and pick your brain as to where the best places are to buy the ingredients. I just looked on Amazon and it was going to be 25 dollars for the ingredients, which seems way expensive to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. Thanks for the post. I wonder if I could use it in a high efficiency machine though? I will have to look that up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KJ - since this post, I have looked at other "formulas" all about the same. Here is one guy who uses his mix (dry) in his HE washer.
    http://diynatural.com/simple-easy-fast-effective-jabs-homemade-laundry-detergent/

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete