August 15, 2012

More Dirty Laundry

I LOVE when I can save my family money and still do my job of being the MOST awesome Mama!!!! Actually, I think the ways I save us money make me an even MORE awesome Mama.  
I make tortillas to feed Sariah's obsession with salsa
I can jelly for our PB&J freaky boy 
Most of our clothes come from thrift shops (name brands and so many more choices in one convenient place) 
I sew some clothes myself 
I make decor for our home inexpensivley (LOVE those monthly craft nights!!)
We cook from scratch most meals
I make our laundry soap.
See - We rock!
(mostly.  We are told to be prepared. to have a year's supply ready for emergencies...let's just say "It's a work in progress."

This post is about LAUNDRY, a topic that continues to come up in my circle of friends. 

Here's the laundry recipe I use most of the time. I ahve tried 1 other and didn't like it. I found all the supplies at Meijer (WalMart would probably have them as well.) there are also recipes for powdered detergent out there. Here's one that sounds promising.  I'll try it next time and report back. :o)

 
For one batch:
I shred up some Fels Naptha bar soap,
- melt 1/3 cup in 6 cups of water over medium heat.  
- add 1/2 cup Borax, 
- add 1/2 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda and mix until melty. 
- put 4 cups HOT water in a big bucket that is not needed for a few days
- add the soapy mix and stir it all together.
- add  MORE water (one gallon plus 6 cups) and stir again.
- Then, let it sit for 24 hours and it ends  up the texture of egg-drop soup.   

You use a 1/2 cup for each load of laundry. That's it.


I had a regular washer when I started making this recipe, I have an High Efficiancy washer now (such a blessing) and I use this recipe still.  The detergent DOES NOT foam. So I am good to go.  LOVE IT!!! 

Oh and I NOW put my finished product in a decorative jar with a lid instead of the ugly bottles like before.  The jar sits on a table next to my washer. Pretty :o) (and not drippy)

*You can leave it in the covered bucket (like a dog food or kitty litter bucket OR a nice one with a lid from Home Depot) OR put it all the bottles saved from OTHER detergents previously used. It's easier and less messy to pour from a small bottle and not have it dripping from my hand as bent over to dip in the bucket. I kept it in the bucket the first batch I made last year.) 

The cost is amazing at less that 2 cents per load!!! (even a little more would be fine with me...it's awesome)

Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment