April 10, 2010

Farm City Day…

When I was a girl, my sister and I would visit my Mother in Pennsylvania on the dairy farm she and her husband ran. There were like 200 of these:

IMG_0610

So Megan and I got to feed the calves their bottles, feed the “teenager cows” feed and water (I loved the water dispensers…VERY cool to a kid) and even GOT to help in the milking parlor in the evenings and clean up the parlor and scrape the manure afterward (to put it politely) into the barn to later make it into the pit out back and into the fertilizer spreader later.  Being on a farm was a vacation for me until I graduated from high school and moved there to live and was expected to do my part…but that’s a different blog entry all together. 

During the summers, there was a thing called “Farm City Day” when the kids from the city would come out and play farmer for the day. There were milk drinking contests, hay rides, goat milking, and other fun farm stuff.

My children would be THOSE city kids! 

IMG_0641

How foreign farm animals are to them!!

We started off Spring Break 2010 by going to Kensington Lake Metro Park.  They have a Farm Center there with a barn full of animals downstairs, where all the babies are born and an educational area upstairs and then the more open farm areas outside. 

Sariah made a point to tell me “I’ll go see the baby pigs but I DON’T want to walk around and see the other stuff.” (Where did she think she’d be while the rest of us were wandering?? Needless to say, I put her in charge of photos and she was all about walking around to EVERY SINGLE ANIMAL!)

IMG_0687

Checking out the goats

 

 

 

 

IMG_0574

Trying to PET  the goats

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_0686

      He isn't so sure yet about touching them.IMG_0575

 

 

 

 

 

 

STOP! 

Before you look at the next photo, let me tell you a bit about this girl.

Sariah is my “Ultra Clean” child.  She doesn’t like to be dirty, WOULDN’T finger paint as a small girl…not even with Chocolate pudding and is allergic to soft and fuzzy animals.  Her eyes puff up and tear. And remember she “wasn’t going to LIKE seeing all the animals”

Here SHE is:

(OK – you can look now)

I happen to adore the look on her face! IMG_0630

It says:

“Look at me!! I am TOUCHING A REAL LIVE, UP CLOSE    C-O-W!!!!”

 

 

 

Now Sariah is so COOL with it. 

“I do this all the time. This is so old hat!

IMG_0631

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Miranda and the same cow.

 IMG_0632

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

They spent about 10 minutes with this cow taking bunches of pictures as she was eating her dinner.

IMG_0627

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Then it was on to the pigs. 

Ask Sariah what she thought of the pigs…it’s a funny story but I don’t want to embarrass her here.IMG_0633

 

 

 

 

 

 

Spring is lambing time.

IMG_0603

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mama… a.k.a. Mrs. Ewe

IMG_0694

 

 

 

 

 

1 day old lambs! So Cute!!IMG_0600

 

 

 

 

 

And oh so soft!

IMG_0689

 

 

 

 

 

Dinner! Come and get it!

IMG_0699

 

 

 

 

 

There were plenty of other lambs with their Mamas and other animals to photograph as well…

IMG_0605 

 

 

  IMG_0604

 

 

 

IMG_0612

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_0683

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_0579

 

 

 

IMG_0580

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_0684

 

 

 

 

IMG_0693

 

 

IMG_0705IMG_0706

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

Usually there are quite a bunch of piglets, but this year there are only 4.  They are cute and so funny.

IMG_0607

IMG_0704

The kids had to show off their strength and try out the pulleys. When you lift 20 lbs alone it’s REALLY heavy, when you use pulleys they pulleys do some of the work for you.  The more pulleys, the easier it is on you.

Here is Tallen demonstrating the pulleys

Getting ready…IMG_0581

     

 

 

 

 

 

 

One pulley…

IMG_0582

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Two pulleys…    

(so much easier)

IMG_0585

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Three pulleys.    

so easy he almost fell pulling the rope.

IMG_0586

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Miranda just showing off!

She is so strong!!

IMG_0583

 

 

 

 

 

A lot of gals have to WORK for arms like this…I tell her to keep it up. Stay active and healthy.IMG_0584

 

Ready to carry milk into the house from the barn.

IMG_0587

 

 

 

 

 

 Oh…, right, we don’t hand milk cows for milk.  But they are ready!

IMG_0589

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

How many hands high are you?? IMG_0597      

 

 

 

IMG_0598

 

 

 

 

 

    Sariah is 15 hands high

IMG_0595

    Miranda is 14 1/2 hands highIMG_0596

 

 

 

 

 

    Tallen is 12 hands highIMG_0599

 

 

 

 

 

It was a great day out with the children.  After the farm we stopped for a little while at the playground. Very fun. Sariah sat in the van and listened to her Mp3 player, Miranda and Tallen played and I was able to sit for a spell and knit.

IMG_0710

 

 

 

 IMG_0709 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_0713

 

 

Tallen’s new favorite activity

Climbing!!

IMG_0719

IMG_0720

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_0716

IMG_0717

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_0721

Sweet

Success!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Today, was a good day. I was able to enjoy the nature around me…

IMG_0681

 

 

 

 

 

 

…and to just BE with my kids and not have to worry about the laundry, the dishes or the rest of the chores

IMG_0643

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tomorrow I will go back to feeling a little like this chicken

(I feel this way often actually…)

IMG_0576

 

 

 

 

 

 

    The children will keep     growing older…

IMG_0664

 

 

 

 

 

 

   …and need me less and less…IMG_0665

 

 

 

 

 

 

    …and grow further and further  from me.

IMG_0666

 

 

 

 

 

    But this is how God intended it to be.  It is the circle of life! We teach them and then they go out on their own…IMG_0667

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I am glad they’ll always have each other!!!

But for now they are still up close and personal and oh so beautiful!

 

SARIAH

IMG_0660

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MIRANDA

IMG_0655

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

TALLEN

IMG_0662

 

 

 

 

 

 

(I give up!! I put it in the program and TRY to upload my beautiful and creative entry and it ends up looking like this…..SORRY, I did the best I could.)

No comments:

Post a Comment